Click & Collect

Available free of charge

Free Delivery

On orders over £60

We're Specialists

In Pet Nutrition & Healthcare

Great Product Range

Selected with love and care

Have you got a jet setting pet?

Date: 01 September 2015  |  Author: Holly Sadler

Tags: travel

It's never been easier to take your pet abroad, with the help of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS). As long as your dog, cat or ferret has a legitimate passport, he or she can travel between EU 'listed countries' (see DEFRA website) and the UK without the need for quarantine.

To qualify for a pet passport, your pet must be over 12 weeks of age, be microchipped and be vaccinated against rabies. Once vaccinated you and your pet can travel after just 21 days. The passport is valid for life, and the more commonly used brands of vaccine last for 3 years - a booster is then required every 3 years.

Since travel requirements have become more relaxed, other than a passport and a working microchip the only thing your dog needs to be treated for is tapeworms before coming back into the UK. You will need to take your dog to a vet 1-5 days before re-entry into the UK (so if you are just going for the weekend this can be done with your own vet at home) for administration of an approved tapeworm product and to sign and stamp the passport. Cats do not require any tapeworm treatment but it is recommended to keep them up to date with regular treatment regardless.

It is important to be aware of certain risk factors of the country you are travelling to. Although tick treatment is no longer a requirement, it is a very good idea to treat your pet about 2 weeks pre-travel to help prevent tick-borne diseases such as Babesia and Erlichiosis. Many flea and tick products also protect against sandflies which are common in most Mediterranean countries, and carry the risk of transmitting Leishamania.

Although it is not advisable to sedate your pet whilst travelling, there are many natural anti-anxieties which can help relax anxious travellers. Ask your vet for more advice on these.

For further advice on specific matters, see the DEFRA website.


About Dr Holly Sadler